Dubai, 12 December 2016: Who better to receive an award that is deeply rooted in literature than journalists? They work tirelessly to bring the news, good and bad, to everyone, employing their skilful use of the written word. Via the Media Awards, the Emirates Literature Foundation will honour and reward those journalists who provide the most informative and exciting coverage of the Foundation’s flagship event, the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature, and help spread the vital message of reading for pleasure.
‘The media play an integral role in conveying the importance of reading in the UAE,’ said His Highness Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman of the Emirates Literature Foundation. ‘We have instituted the Media Awards to thank them for supporting the Foundation and its initiatives to encourage a culture of reading in the country. We hope this Award will initiate a healthy dialogue about literature and its impact on society.’
The Awards are open to Arabic and English print and online publications producing original content about the Festival with a special focus on encouraging reading. Each Arabic and English winner will receive a four-day weekend trip for two to New York or London including flights and accommodation at the five star InterContinental Hotel.
‘The Emirates Airline Festival of Literature and the Emirates Literature Foundation have always enjoyed a convivial relationship with the media,’ said Isobel Abulhoul, OBE, CEO and Trustee of the Emirates Literature Foundation and Director of the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature. ‘Of course, journalists are equally excited about the author line-up each year, plus the chance to interview celebrities from near and far. Journalists understand why reading is so important for us all and they put their hearts and souls into helping the annual festival reach new heights each year. The awards will highlight the skill and dedication that journalists take in the written and spoken word, and also the important role they play in helping to encourage reading across the UAE and beyond. Many attend the Festival and our Foundation events with great enthusiasm and hopefully the Media Awards will encourage some innovative and interesting features based on the many sessions and workshops.’
The ninth annual Festival will be held from 3-11 March 2017, featuring more than 150 authors from 30 countries. Around 250 sessions, panels, workshops and special events will take place over the nine days of the Festival, alongside five days of Education events, student competitions and Fringe activities.
Criteria for the Media Awards are:
- Eligible coverage dates: 19 October 2016 – 10 April 2017
- Eligible number of coverage pieces: Minimum three features to qualify; maximum five
- Best Arabic Media Feature about Emirates Airline Festival of Literature (Original Content Only) – Print or Online
- Best English Media Feature about Emirates Airline Festival of Literature (Original Content Only) – Print or Online
- Awarded to one Arabic media and one English media
- Winners receive a four-day weekend trip for two to New York or London including flights and accommodation at the five star InterContinental Hotel
- The Media Awards will be presented at an Awards ceremony by Emirates Literature Foundation in April 2017
- Deadline for submissions: 10 April, 2017, 5pm
- Details for submissions at http://litfest-archives.com/2017/media-awards-2017/